Thursday, August 29, 2013

Artists by state #1-10

by Matt Groom

I know it's late, but in honor of our Independence Day, I would like to highlight one artist from each state (two from California, because I want to).  I will post one video from each state, tell you why I chose that song, and give 4 other artists from that state.

In order of admittance to the union: State (Date of Statehood)

Delaware (December 7, 1787)

http://youtu.be/X9FyQNx8oyU (Bad to the Bone)

Artist: George Thorogood
Song: "Bad to the Bone"
Album: Bad to the Bone (1982)
Top Position on Rock Chart: #27
Where Artist is from: Wilmington, DE

Why I chose this song: I had to look on Wikipedia to find out who is from Delaware, and when I saw him, this song was a no-brainer.  I imagine many people have sang this song, and are still singing this song out loud with pride.  It has definitely been played in many movies and television shows, and probably will be in more in the future.

Other artists I have heard of from Delaware: None

Pennsylvania (December 12, 1787)

http://youtu.be/OHzkICG47LU (Motown Philly)

Artist: Boyz II Men
Song: "Motown Philly"
Album: Cooleyhighharmony (1991)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Charts: #3
Where Artists are from: Philadelphia, PA

Why I chose this song: I chose Boyz II Men, because I liked them the best out of the other candidates.  "Motown Philly" isn't my favorite Boyz II Men song, but the lyrics are clean (I believe), and I admit, some of the lyrics on some of their other songs are not so family friendly.  I do like this song.  It is catchy, and has a good beat to it. 

Other artists from Pennsylvania: Nine Inch Nails, Christina Perri, Will Smith, Taylor Swift

New Jersey (December 18, 1787)

http://youtu.be/129kuDCQtHs (Dancing In the Dark)

Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Song: "Dancing In the Dark"
Album: Born In the U.S.A. (1984)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Charts: #2
Where Artist is from: Long Branch, NJ

Why I chose this song: When I thought of New Jersey, the Boss was immediately the first person I thought of.  Now I had to pick the song, and he has a lot of great ones.  "Born in the U.S.A." would sound like a great choice, seeing as we recently had our Independence Day, but once you get passed the lyrics, "Born in the U.S.A.", the song isn't patriotic.  "I'm On Fire" is my favorite Springsteen song, but "Dancing In the Dark" reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit where Adam Sandler plays Springsteen, and he is recreating the moment in the music video when he pulls Courtney Cox up to dance.  That is why I chose this song.

Other artists from New Jersey: Jon Bon Jovi (Born in NJ), Mary Chapin Carpenter, Whitney Houston, Ice-T

Georgia (January 2, 1788)

http://youtu.be/_m0bI82Rz_k (Shine)

Artist: Collective Soul
Song: "Shine"
Album: Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid (1993)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Charts: #11
Where artists are from: Atlanta, GA

Why I chose this song: This is my favorite song from my favorite band.  My sister used to play this song a lot and it's nostalgic for me.

Other artists from Georgia: Jason Aldean, Tony Rich Project, Third Day, Usher

Connecticut (January 9, 1788)

http://youtu.be/H1W2UddURXI (No Such Thing)

Artist: John Mayer
Song: "No Such Thing"
Album: Room for Squares (2001)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Charts: #13
Where artist is from: Fairfield, CT

Why I chose this song:  This is my favorite song out of all the artists from Connecticut.  When I first heard this song, I thought John Mayer was going to be big on the music scene, and I would become a fan.  Well, one of them came true.  He is big on the music scene, but it turns out that "No Such Thing" is the only song of his I like.  It is a catchy song that is not too sappy or too political (it's not that I mind either one, but if it is going to be either one, the song has to be really good, and none of his other songs are any good, in my opinion). 

Other artists from Connecticut: Michael Bolton, The Carpenters, Meat Loaf, Moby

Massachusetts (February 6, 1788)

http://youtu.be/nf0oXY4nDxE (Dude Looks Like A Lady)

Artist: Aerosmith
Song: "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"
Album: Permanent Vacation (1987)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Charts: #14
Where artists are from: Boston, MA

Why I chose this song:  I had no idea who was from Massachusetts, so I had to research it.  The first name I saw was Aerosmith, and there are few in music history who are better than Aerosmith.  When I think of Aerosmith, I think of this song, probably because my awesome girlfriend sings it on occasion.  If you were to look at the Hot 100 charts alone, this would not be their most successful song.  (Believe it or not, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" was their ONLY #1 hit).  However, this song identifies more with Aerosmith's music.  Plus, it's nice to remember Aerosmith at their prime, and not when Steven Tyler became one of the nut jobs on American Idol.

Other artists from Massachusetts: Godsmack, Mighty Mighty Bostones, Rob Zombie, Staind

Maryland (April 28. 1788)

http://youtu.be/Z6ERBN6fA38 (You Mean the World to Me)

Artist: Toni Braxton
Song: "You Mean the World to Me"
Album: Toni Braxton (1993)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Charts: #7
Where artist is from: Severn, MD

Why I chose this song: To tell the truth, there aren't many artists I have heard of from this state.  Billie Holiday is the most legendary, but unfortunately, I do not know any of her music.  I know one of my sisters was (I don't know if she still is) a Toni Braxton fan.  I also know that Braxton has a reality show that I don't watch.  I like this song better than "Unbreak my Heart" and those are the only two songs I know from her.  If it wasn't for Braxton, the best thing Severn, MD would have is the guy who got 2nd in the World Series of Poker in 2005.

Other artists from Maryland: Good Charlotte, Billie Holiday, Talking Heads

South Carolina (May 23, 1788)

http://youtu.be/PyRZTAmcW7c (Long Black Train)

Artist: Josh Turner
Song: "Long Black Train"
Album: Long Black Train (2003)
Top Position on Country Charts: #13 (#72 on Hot 100)
Where artist is from: Hannah, SC

Why I chose this song:  This is a song that can relate to all of us.  Josh Turner is a Christian man, and the primary focus of this song was choosing between God and Satan, and more particularly, choosing the righteous path over the temptations of sin.  However, even if you're not a Christian, you can still relate to this song as making good choices in your life and bad choices.  The train represents all that is evil in the world.  Also, I love this song.  The video is good, too.

Other artists from South Carolina: James Brown, Marshall Tucker Band, Darius Rucker, Aaron Tippin

New Hampshire (June 21, 1788)

http://youtu.be/bkysjcs5vFU (Holy Diver)

Artist: Dio
Song: "Holy Diver"
Album: Holy Diver (1983)
Top Position on Rock Charts: #40
Where artist was from: Portsmouth, NH (born)

Why I chose this song:  I want to make this of where artists spent most of their lives before they made it big, but the selection of those from New Hampshire wasn't great.  (Ronnie Dio was born in New Hampshire, but raised in New York).  This song is just a classic.  There are no other words to describe it.  Ronnie Dio passed away May 16, 2010.  He was 67 years old.

Other aritsts from New Hampshire: Mandy Moore (born)

Virginia (June 25, 1788)

http://youtu.be/MX5OqyBYKh4 (Get Back Up)

Artist: Toby Mac
Song: "Get Back Up"
Album: Tonight (2010)
Top Position on Hot 100: Did not make Hot 100 (However, it made #1 in Christian Music Charts)
Where artist is from: Fairfax, VA

Why I chose this song:  As I was looking at the list of artists from Virginia, there were a lot of good ones.  However, since I am a Christian, I wanted to make some room for Christian artists.  Toby Mac is a good one to choose.  He is easily one of the legends in Christian music, as his career went from being a member of dc Talk to an excellent solo career.  His latest album, Eye on It, reached #1 of the Billboard top-200 charts for artists of all Genres.  I believe he was the first Christian artist to accomplish that feat since 1997 (LeAnn Rimes-if you call her a Christian artist.  If you don't the only other person to do it is Bob Carlisle with Butterfly Kisses)

Other artists from Virginia: Patsy Cline, Dave Matthews Band, Jason Mraz, Phil Vassar

No comments: