Monday, July 14, 2014

Artists by state #21-30

This is part 3 of my series Artists by State. I will cover artists from states 21-30 to join the union.

Illinois (December 3, 1818






http://youtu.be/CRfy1yorkec (You're The Inspiration)

Artist: Chicago
Song: "You're The Inspiration"
Album: Chicago 17 (1984)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #3
Where group is from: Chicago, IL

Why I chose this song:  It only seemed logical to me that I would have a band named "Chicago" to represent Illinois.  I have had this song stuck in my head for a while, and it is my favorite Chicago song.  In my research for this song, I learned that Chicago has had a few lead singers, and Peter Cetera went on to have a great career.  By the way, I think the album names are simple, yet creative (Chicago, Chicago II, Chicago III, etc.).  I think it would be one of those that since Chicago was the first to do it (at least the first I have heard), it is cool; but if anyone else tried, it would be annoying. 

Other artists from Illinois: Disturbed, Burl Ives, Smashing Pumpkins, Styx

Alabama (December 14, 1819)

http://youtu.be/Qh3GU5K5Fvo (Cheap Seats)

Artist: Alabama
Song: "The Cheap Seats"
Album: Cheap Seats (1993)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: NR (#13 on the Country Music Chart)
Where group is from: Ft. Payne, AL

Why I chose this song:  I chose this song for two reasons.  First, it is another band named after the area they are from.  There is no better representation of Alabama than the band, Alabama.  Second, when I was originally going to do this blog, it was baseball season.  I live near two Class A teams and within a two hour drive from two AAA baseball teams, plus near 2 major league teams.  Everytime I go to a minor-league baseball game, this song always gets stuck in my head.  I heard that this song was featured in Major League III: Back in the Minors.  I haven't seen the movie, but I should now.

Other artists from Alabama: Shelby Lynne, Lionel Richie, Ashton Shepherd, Ralph Willis

Maine (March 15, 1820)

http://youtu.be/ca9ub9rpNK4 (Collide)

Artist: Howie Day
Song: "Collide"
Album: Stop All The World Now (2003)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #20
Where artist is from: Brewer, ME

Why I chose this song:  Howie Day is the only artist from Maine who I have heard of.  He is the true definition of a one-hit wonder.  This is the only song of his the not only hit the top 40, none of his other songs hit the top 100.

Other artists from Maine: None

Missouri (August 10, 1821)

http://youtu.be/n3htOCjafTc (Over and Over)

Artist: Nelly (f/Tim McGraw)
Song: "Over and Over"
Album: Suit (2004)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #3
Where artist is from: St. Louis, MO

Why I chose this song:  Nelly is a multi-talented artist.  This is a song that shows that he can sing R and B as well as he can rap.  He is a good rapper as well.  It is hard to believe that he has been around in the music scene for 15 years.  The collaboration he did with Florida Georgia Line for "Cruise" was a big hit.  However, that was not the first time he recorded a song with a country act.  I don't know if this song is, but it is the first song that many of us know of. 

Other artists from Missouri: Akon, Sheryl Crow, The Dillards, Michael McDonald

Arkansas (June 15, 1836)

http://youtu.be/3aF9AJm0RFc (Hurt)

Artist: Johnny Cash
Song: "Hurt"
Album: American IV: The Man Comes Around (2002)
Top Postition on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #33
Where artist was from: Kingsland, AR (Born)

Why I chose this song:  I had to fit Johnny Cash in this blog anywhere I could.  I said that Elvis was the biggest influence in American music history.  If I am correct in that, Cash is not far off.  He is definitely in the top 4.  (You can pick the order between Michael Jackson, Johnny Cash, and Frank Sinatra).  "Hurt" was not Cash's song.  It was a remake with Nine Inch Nails doing the original.  I generally hate remakes, but this is an obvious exception.  The music video took over as my second favorite music video of all time (a-ha's "Take on Me" is #1 on my list).  From what I saw of the video, Cash was reflecting on the positive and negative choices he made in his life.  It seemed to me that he felt it was going to be the last video he would ever do, and I could see the emotion in the video.  I was moved by it.  It did turn out to be the last music video.  He passed away a year after the video was released.  I am not sure if this story is true, but I think it is so good, that I have to share it anyway.  "Hurt" was up for a MTV music award and it lost to whatever Justin Timberlake was singing at the time, and Timberlake was so upset that he beat Cash in this award, and he let it be known in his speech.  I am still looking for the video.  Johnny Cash died on September 12, 2003.  He was 71 years old.

Other artists from Arkansas: Glen Campbell, Rev. Al Green, Joe Nichols, Conway Twitty

Michigan (January 26, 1837)

http://youtu.be/XeolH-kzx4c (96 Tears)

Artist: ? and the Mysterians
Song: "96 Tears"
Album: 96 Tears (1966)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #1
Where group is from: Bay City, MI

Why I chose this song: I chose this song to celebrate our diversity in the United States.  They are the 1st artists of Mexican descent to make it big in the United States music world.  Though many consider them one-hit wonders, they were the original artists of Smashmouth's cover of "Can't Get Enough of You Baby." 

Other artists from Michigan: Eminem, Madonna, Bob Seger, Uncle Cracker

Florida (March 3, 1845)

http://youtu.be/DhCOb9jS2tQ (Cruise)

Artist: Florida Georgia Line
Song: "Cruise"
Album: Here's To The Good Times (2012)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #4
Where duo is from: Ormond Beach, FL (Brian Kelley), Monroe, GA (Tyler Hubbard)

Why I chose this song: It was the hit summer song of 2013.  It was even a bigger hit when they did a remix with Nelly.  I think both versions are great.  I personally love the country/rap duo. 

Other artists from Florida: Backstreet Boys, Flo Rida, Justin Timberlake, Aaron Tippin

Texas (December 29, 1845)

http://youtu.be/k2af10YlLoc (Love Without End, Amen)

Artist: George Strait
Song: "Love Without End, Amen"
Album: Livin' It Up (1990)
Top Postition on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: NR (#1 on Country Chart)
Where artist is from: Pearsall, TX

Why I chose this song: Texas is actually a musically diverse state.  Austin has a huge rock following, rap artists come from Texas, many immigrants present their music to the state.  However, when most of us think Texas, we think country, and there are not many as great as the King of Country, George Strait.  There are literally nearly 100 hit songs I could have chosen by Mr. Strait, but I chose this one for two reasons.  First, it was the first song I had heard from him.  Even when I hated country, I still loved this song.  Second, most of us had experienced a time (or many times) where we have done something that we thought would result in our parents not loving us anymore.  This song shows the depth of love a father has for his children.

Other artists from Texas: Yolanda Adams, Fastball, Little Texas, Willie Nelson

Iowa (December 28, 1846)

http://youtu.be/le2bPRGvKXE (Convow)

Artist: C.W. McCall
Song: "Convoy"
Album: Black Bear Road (1975)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #1
Where artist is from: Audubon, IA

Why I chose this song: I could not find many artists from Iowa.  Also, I wanted to include some one-hit wonders in this series of blogs.  Though McCall had many other country hits, only one other song of his hit the top 40 in all genres ("Wolf Creek Pass" #40).  I know some people who are truckers, and I am sure they can relate to this song.

Other artists from Iowa: Slipknot

Wisconsin (May 29, 1848)

http://youtu.be/xEkB-VQviLI (You've Lost That Loving Feeling)

Artist: Righteous Brothers
Song: "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"
Album: You've Lost That Loving Feeling (1964)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #1
Where artists are from: Beaver Dam, WI (Bobby Hatfield), Santa Monica, CA (Bill Medley)

Why I chose this song: This is one of my favorite songs of all time.  I loved this song from the 1st time I heard it listening to an oldies station.  In addition, according to a website a few years ago, this is the most played song in the history of radio.  From another website I read, Hatfield was upset when it was determined that Medley would sing most of the song.  It worked wonderfully.  I don't think it would have worked as well with the two singing equally.  (Note: Another big hit "Unchained Melody" was sung entirely by Hatfield).  Bill Medley is still alive.  Twenty years later, he teamed up with Jennifer Warnes to sing "(I've Had) The Time of my Life."  Bobby Hatfield died on November 5, 2003.  He was 63.

Other artists from Wisconsin: Arrested Development, Citizen King, Garbage, Les Paul

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurt is my Favorite Johnny Cash song of all time. I feel like it's about heroin addiction and even though I belive Trent Reznick wrote it, I think Johnny Cash "owns" this song because of his history. This is probably in my top ten songs of all time list, and number two music video. Nice pick Matt - miller

Groom said...

Thank you. Reznor did write the song. I think heroin addiction was the original reason for the song being written. I saw an interview with Reznor on YouTube, and even he believes it Cash's song now.