Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Artists by state #11-20

Last blog, I gave 10 songs by artists in states that were 1-10 in the union, this time, I will be doing 11-20.

New York (July 26, 1788)

http://youtu.be/355Fk8drgZE (Gloria)

Artist: Laura Branigan
Song: "Gloria"
Album: Branigan (1982)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #2
Where artist was from: Brewster, NY

Why I chose this song: Simply, this song keep popping up in my head.   It is a great song, and there is a short story behind it.  The story I will repeat is from several sources.  It was originally an Italian song.  In the Italian version, it is about a man's love for a woman named Gloria.  When the English version was written, they decided to give "Gloria" a dark side about her life.  Rarely I do not like the songs in the original language after being translated into English, but this is an exception. I love this song.  Laura Branigan passed away on August 26, 2004.  She was 47 years old.

Other artists from New York: Billie Holiday Jay-Z, Ma$e, Notorious B.I.G.

North Carolina (November 21, 1789)

http://youtu.be/nJzBcKM3ZIE (September)

Artist: Daughtry
Song: "September"
Album: Leave This Town (2010)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #36
Where artist is from: McLeansville, NC

Why I chose this song: I chose this song for three reasons.  First, it just happens to be September when I am writing this.  Second, though I hate the show, American Idol, was a big staple in the American pop culture.  It is not as big as it used to be, but it is still on tv.  I thought I should put an artist on here, whether he or she won or not.  There are not many songs I like from the American Idol group, but I like this one.

Other artists from North Carolina: Clay Aiken, Bucky Covington, Andy Griffith (he put some albums out), Petey Pablo

Rhode Island (May 29, 1790)

http://youtu.be/-NlT-ELVWk0 (One Voice)

Artist: Billy Gilman
Song: "One Voice"
Album: One Voice (2000)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #38
Where artist is from: Hope Valley, RI

Why I chose this song: Remember that cute 11-year old that had a future in country music?  That was him, and this is the song.  However, it turned out that "One Voice" would be his only hit (though he did have another song that hit top-40 in the country charts).  This is a good song that this generation of music listeners should listen to.
 
Other artists from Rhode Island: None

Vermont (March 4, 1791)

http://youtu.be/ggWyUEuGcWY (Get Out [Leave])

Artist: JoJo
Song: Get Out (Leave)
Album: JoJo (2004)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #12
Where artist is from: Foxborough, MA (Born in Brattleboro, VT)

Why I chose this song: She is the only artist with any appropriate connection to Vermont that warrants a song on here.  This was a big hit in 2004.  However, I had the feeling her singing career wouldn't last long, and it didn't.  It turns out that she had decided to go into acting, and she was quite successful at it.  She has played on "RV", and made appearances on "The Bernie Mac Show", "Punked" and other shows.  Also, her music career is making a comeback.

Other artists from Vermont: Phish, KT Tunsall

Kentucky (June 1, 1792)

http://youtu.be/byQIPdHMpjc (Achy Breaky Heart)

Artist: Billy Ray Cyrus
Song: "Achy Breaky Heart"
Album: Some Gave All (1992)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #4
Where artist is from: Flatwoods, KY

Why I chose this song:  It should be obvious.  This was a hit song in the 1990's.  Some say he is the one who made the mullet popular in the 1990's.  The song most people, if not all, associate Billy Ray Cyrus with is "Achy Breaky Heart".  It has a good beat to it, and it is easy to play on the guitar.  I do admit that this is one of the few songs that I like now, but I hated when it came out.  Cyrus has other good songs.  He may be a one-hit wonder in the pop world, but he is far from that in the country world.  Most of his hits came from his first two albums, Some Gave All and It Won't Be The Last. And in my opinion, he is a better singer than his daughter, Miley Cyrus.

Other artists from Kentucky: Laura Bell Bundy, Steven Curtis Chapman, Rebecca Lynn Howard, John Michael Montgomery

Tennessee (June 1, 1796)

http://youtu.be/uqv5b0UjR4g (Can't Help Falling In Love)

Artist: Elvis Presley
Song: "Can't Help Falling In Love"
Album: Blue Hawaii (1961)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #2
Where artist was from: Memphis, TN

Why I chose this song: First, though he was born in Tupelo, MS, no one personofies the Tennessee music scene more than Elvis.  There are so many songs to choose from, but this is my favorite Elvis song ever since I heard it on an episode of Cold Case.  There is no doubt he is the most successful American artist in history.  Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977.  He was 42 years old.

Other artists from Tennessee: Trace Adkins, Amy Grant, Lady Antebellum, Dolly Parton

Ohio (March 1, 1803/August 7, 1953)^

http://youtu.be/4APfLNbdao4 (Ain't That Lonely Yet)

Artist: Dwight Yoakam
Song: "Ain't That Lonely Yet"
Album: This Time (1993)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: NR (#2 on Country Chart
Where artist is from: Columbus, OH

Why I chose this song: I am a big fan of Dwight Yoakam.  He is a talented singer and a talented actor.  I chose this particular song, because this is the first song I have heard from him.  Another good song is called, "Streets of Bakersfield," which he did with Buck Owens.

Other artists from Ohio: Bone Thugs & Harmony, Eric Carmen, Macy Gray, Dean Martin

Louisiana (April 30, 1812)

http://youtu.be/cFuU5ySCEaU (Haunted Heart)

Artist: Sammy Kershaw
Song: "Haunted Heart"
Album: Haunted Heart (1993)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: NR (#9 on Country Chart)
Where artist is from: Kaplan, LA

Why I chose this song: I love this song, even when I hated country, I thought it was a good song.  The song tells a good story, and quite honestly, it is a little creepy, but interesting.  It is still a great song 20 years later.

Other artists from Louisiana: Kix Brooks, Chris Cagle, Buddy Guy, Brittney Spears

Indiana (December 11, 1816)

http://youtu.be/HzZ_urpj4As (The Way You Make Me Feel)

Artist: Michael Jackson
Song: "The Way You Make Me Feel"
Album: Bad (1987)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: #1
Where artist was from: Gary, IN

Why I chose this song: Michael Jackson is one of the biggest music stars in history.  He might be just behind Elvis, but not by much.  I had to find room for the "King of Pop".  I could have put him in the Michigan category, but I have reasons for putting who I will put in there, and I will explain when I get there.  Since Jackson was born in Indiana, I could put him here.  "The Way You Make Me Feel" is one of my girlfriend's favorite Michael Jackson songs, and I like it, too.  There are a lot of questions about Jackson's past with his personal life.  While I don't condone some of his actions, I chose to make this blog about the accomplishments the artists have made musically, and one cannot deny his musical genius.  Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009.  He was 50 years old.

Other artists from Indiana: Ray Boltz, Jeremy Camp, Bill Gaither, Crystal Gayle, John "Cougar" Mellencamp

Mississippi (December 10, 1817)

http://youtu.be/6XJff9LPYgE (Hillbilly Rock)

Artist: Marty Stuart
Song: "Hillbilly Rock"
Album: Hillbilly Rock (1990)
Top Position on Billboard Hot 100 Chart: NR (#8 on country charts)
Where artist is from: Philadelphia, MS

Why I chose this song: This song goes back to the good old days of country music (as far as I see it).  It is a catchy song, and I still get it stuck in my head over 20 years later.  I am a big fan of Marty Stuart.

Other artists from Mississippi: Faith Hill, B.B. King, Charley Pride, Conway Twitty

^= Ohio got a 2nd unofficial date, because when Ohio became a state, there was no formal admission to become a state, Congress had to vote it in, and the president had to approve, like any law.  There was no formal admission to statehood, and Ohio decided to make one on its 150th anniversary.  It was approved on August 7, 1953 making March 1, 1803 the formal statehood date for Ohio.

No comments: